Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Fire House

Friday (22/01/2010)

a) Song: The Thinking Song
* First, we recapped the poem on “Five Little Firefighters”.
* As they recited, they read the words on the cardboard.
* Then, we learnt a new song, “The Thinking Song”. The objective is to boost the

kids’ confidence by thinking. Always think to create a craft, always think to
create something they want, always think before they quarrel with friends and
etc. Older Xing Tong said that she always sit down and think when she is in
trouble.
* They loved the song very much.
Think, think, thinkety, think.
Thinkety, thinkety, thinkety, think. (x 2)
In my mind, I can see it,
In my heart, I can feel it,
I know I can make it come to be,
When I’ve got to solve a problem,
Or imagine something new,
I think, think, thinkety, think.
That’s what I do.

b) A review of our Clay Town
* We gathered around the model. They read the signboards as I pointed to the particular area. Some were happy to tell the class that they made the mould. Suddenly, Wei Jeen said he wanted to be a Policeman and I pointed to the Police Station mould. Chun Kit and Devin said they wanted to be Firefighters. I pointed to the Fire Station.
* Then, we recapped the word society and Shi Jie and Foo Soon managed to answer that it is regarding the people around us.
* I showed them 2 photos of the Earthquake at Haiti. One, showed a picture of a girl being rescued by firefighters. Second, showed how some victims stole goods from collapsed shops. Thus, policemen chased them for their crime.
* I told them that I saw a donation box at a mamak stall for the Haiti victims. “Do firefighters also do charity? What can they do to help the needy ones?” were my questions for their weeknd.

c) Let’s recycle!
* Jing Kai proposed that we recycle the hardened clay. Thus, we had soaked a piece in the water yesterday after seeing Yan Shan’s water diluted some pieces.
* Gee……it looked like mud and some kids were brave enough to touch, some were not. Shi Jie thought that there was too much water, thus, we poured some water out. We would see the outcome on Monday if it would harden into its natural shape. Hmmm…..Foo Soon said, “like a scientist….”J.

d) DVD: Let’s go to the Fire House.
* We continued watching. While watching, these were the few questions.
- Where are they going? Whose dog is that? When firefighters go to Fire School, do they make the real fire?
Yan Shan: Why is the dog sleeping in a small bed?
Qian Joe: BJ is a scientist. Will his experiments explode?
* Then, they heard the song “The Thinking Song” and were very happy to see along.
* Kids learnt that siren is a warning to request roads to be cleared as they need to be at the happening place fast. Fire Truck can be of any colours. Firefighters leave their uniforms on the floor so that they could jump into the suit and dress as fast as possible. Firemen wear special clothing that protect them from fire. They go to a special Fire school and learn. They do their homework, read books, have meeting, sleep there and also cook and eat there. No wonder, Fire Station is also known as Fire House.

No comments: