Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Harvesting the Sugarcane.

Wednesday (04/02/2009)

a) The Massage Slippers.

· I apologised to the kids for wearing slippers into the classroom today as my feet hurt.
· They were so concerned and asked me to show them my feet. Some even came nearer like my

mum.
· As I lifted my feet, they exclaimed, “Wow! Massage slippers”. They saw the dotted marks

at the bottom of my feet. Actually, those were just normal slippers that have protuded surface
like massage slippers.
· They were so concerned over me…..how then can I not love them?! Haaaa….

b) The Sugarcane.
· The kids didn’t bring any sugarcane. Le Xin said that her aunt would scold. Shu Wei said hers are too young to be chopped off. Ze Yan forgot. Song Chuan said they didn’t have any sugarcanes for “Jade Emperor’s prayer”.
· Fortunately, we have very few sugarcane plants in the school’s garden. I couln’t promise them that they are sweet as no fertilizer was used.
· They learnt that sugarcane is used to produce sugar. Song Chuan said, “Teacher! The name is Sugarcane. Of course, we can use it to make sugar!”
· They saw a chart on how the Sugarcane is made into sugar. Hot boiling is required and they wanted to try it out.
· Vocabulary: root, leaves, sugar, water, sun.

c) Harvesting the Sugarcane.
· The kids and I went to the garden to analyse the Sugarcane. They even touched the leaves. Some found them unfriendly as it can cut our hands. The kids even said that we can protect ourselves with the leaves….haaa!
· I used the chopper to chop a sugarcane. The kids carried together excitedly.
· After washing it, I skinned off the purple skin. Yun Zhe and Song Chuan related how some people break the cane easily with their knees.
· After cutting into small pieces, they chewed and said the juice was delicious. They had at least 2 small pieces.

d) Flash cards
· The kids read the key words for this theme.
· This is to help them with revision.
· People, palace, King, garden, happy, beautiful, Dragon dance, soldier, plug, Chinese New Year.

No comments: