Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

How much do I know?

Tuesday (21/04/2009)

a) Game: Treasure Hunt
Max: What’s treasure?
Eugene: Something valuable.
Teacher: People believed some treasures were buried undersea.
We talked very briefly about pirates just as happened in Somalia recently.
Procedure: They made a circle. A chosen person sat in the middle. He / she would be looking for the treasure stealer. Meanwhile, the others learnt to pass around a coin very very quietly……(Something difficult for them but they tried their very best…haa!) While passing, they chant this rhyme.
“Treasure hunt! Treasure hunt! Where is my treasure? Who took my treasure?”
The first 4 rounds were confusing and messy because they kept calling the person who held the coin. Definitely, the person seated in the middle could hear. Second mistake was, their eyes would look at the person who held the coin…….haa! Thirdly, the person who held the coin put their hands behind their back…….unlike the others!  The BEST part was to see how they held themselves…seriously….while waiting for the seated person to guess the tresure stealer!

b) Our title
We recapped on yesterday’s lesson. Jen Ning was the first to share about it. So, we had to vote for our new thematic name.
Among discussed: I can move my body? You’ve got to move it? Let’s move our body! My fun body?
Finally, 14 kids opted “My Magical Body”.
Teacher: What do you mean by “magical”? Can we perform magic?
Jen Ning: Yes, teacher! When we sleep, our body still works. It helps us to grow.
Teacher: Good! When we are injured, our body will help the healing process.
Can a happy person makes the other sad people happy?
I left the class. Meanwhile, the kids pretended crying. Then, I knocked at the door and exclaimed, “ I have a surprise!!” Suddenly they looked up and started smiling…..!
Our body is indeed a magical place!

c) How much do I know?
We chose Le Xin to lie down on a piece of white paper. The kids took turn to trace her body. We also traced her 2 bunches of hair……haa!
Then, the kids pretended to be teachers and explained to me. I would ask them questions hoping them to give me an answer. They started by sketching from the body top. Their sharings:
Song Chuan: We need hair.
Eugene: hair protects our heads from hot sun!
Teacher: Does that mean, a person with no hair feels hotter??....(Class was unsure).
Jin Shan: We use eyes to see.
Jen Ning: A blind person uses a stick to help them move around.
Teacher: Does that mean they cannot go to school? (Class was unsure).
Jin Nan: We use our nose to smell. We have 2 nostrils on our nose.
Teacher: Why do I have nose blocks sometimes? (Class was unsure).
Yun Zhe: We use our mouth to eat?
Teacher: Why must we eat?
Foo Soon: We will die? Teacher: So, if I don’t eat for a day, will I die?
Jen Ning: No…….you will not. But…..if you don’t eat for many days, you will die.
Eugene: This is our neck.
Teacher: What is underneath the neck?
Ze Yan: Our throat. Our food goes down here.
Max: Our heart is here. It is as big as our heart.
Teacher: Why do we need a heart?
Jien Wei: If no heart, we cannot move? Teacher: I don’t understand.
Jen Ning: No heart, no blood!
Teacher: Are you sure? (Class was unsure).
The class shall be continued.

No comments: