Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Freshwater vs. Salt water

Tuesday (08/03/2011)

a) Freshwater vs. Salt water.
l The kids tasted salt and showed different facial expressions. Our body can’t take toomuch salt as it may cause sickness. The kids suddenly thought of Maggie Noodles and it’s the powder that consists of msg which s different from salt.
l Again, I sketched the Body Water picture. Kids said sea and ocean is salt water. I asked the kids examples of freshwater and immediately they remembered the school’s filter water.
l Others included ponds, lakes, stream, river, waterfall and also underground water. Kids got confused with fountains and waterfall which I explained that fountains are man-made and decorated with lights and beautiful at night. They started talking about their experience such as Genting Highland’s fountains. :)

b) Our new pet.
l Chun Kit, Qian Joe and Kwong Yong suggested that we find a new pet from the school pond. We went to the garden and observed the pond. It was quit a hot day with sunlight shining over te pond. Thus, the fishes were hiding in the shades. The kids observed how I scoop the pond for fish with a big net (kids’ suggestion). However, no fish came up! Wee Hong suggested that I feed the fish with fish food. Good idea! The carp fish started swimming to the surface. Again, they were fast for me.
Yee Xuan: Teacher, catch that as pet.
Teacher: We can’t because the carp fish needs gas pump and we don’t have one at the moment. Suddenly, we saw only a tadpole. I tried my best to catch it…and yes, we have a new pet. We placed it in a bottle with some pond water. We fed with some fish food not exactly knowing what its actual food is. I asked the kids to go home and check the answer.

c) Experiment: Water and salt.
l As we aren’t sure the contents of salt in freshwater, each kid took a bowl while I scooped the pond water into their bowls. Then they placed under the hot sun. Meanwhile, I also had 2 bowls; 1 containing salt water from the sea while the other is the tap water. We can only see te result after a few days.

d) Fun time!
l The kids were so excited that they could scoop the pond with the school’s big net. It wasn’t easy and I was almost wet due to their excitement….haaa!
l I sailed a paper boat but the kids realized that it became soaked and wasn’t beautiful after that. I asked the kids to think of other ideas of making a boat.

No comments: