Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Carnation Flower Craft

08/05/2008 (Thursday)

a) Warm- up session
The kids marched into the classroom happily as usual. They chose what they wanted to do. Corner Playing, segregating the recycled items into the 3 boxes or drawing. WY, JS, JH, ZYg, J and EG chose for blocks. Today, JS formed an aeroplane which looked more like a spaceship.....cool! Meanwhile, LX and JN assisted me to segregate the recycled items into the correct boxes.

b) Flower and its parts.
Then, I drew a flower on the white board and asked them what were missing. JS said the leaf. So, I drew a leaf and asked them the importance of a leaf. The green element was the reason of photosynthesis; food-making process with the help of sunlight. ZY talked about the roots which absorb water from the ground. J and LX was excited to inform the class about the earthworms in the ground. I also told them about the stem and petals. Then, I gave them some leaves to colour and cut. These would be needed for the Carnation craft later on.

c) Plastic and their numbers
Then, we sang our favourite song; "Happy Mother's Day". They loved the part of "Oh, oh, oh Who Wouldn't Know"...ha ha ha! Then I explained to the kids about the plastic recycled items. There are 7 types of recycled plastic. I shared with the kids that Plastic withe number 3, 6 and 7 are unsafe for us and the earth as they contain unhealthy substance. In some countries, the consumers avoid using Plastic 3, 6 and 7. (.....) Thus, I told the kids that if they go shopping, please choose for Plastic Number 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6.

d) Carnation Flower Craft
After tea-break, the kids gathered in front of the class. I told them that we can recycle the plastic bottles as vases for Carnation flowers. So, I cut a bottle as a sample. I told them that the cutting is suitable for adults as we need to use a cutter. The kids loved share about their mother. Thus, they drew pictures of their mother or things that can make her happy on the colour paper. While drawing, I called the kids individually. They pasted their coloured leaves on the flower's stem. They were very eager about their Carnation Flower!

No comments: