Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

I can draw…..

Friday (14/01/2011)

a) Vocabulary recapped.
• We recapped some words learnt during this theme. Among: Chinese New Year, drum, cymbals, lion dance, dragon dance, cookies, Mandarin Oranges, lantern, monster, monk, children, tambourine and red packet.
• We brainstormed about activities we have done and are going to do during this theme. These activities were decided by the kids when we brainstormed the mind mapping on the first week of school. However, the kids added:
Zhi Feng: I want to sell things. Teacher: What can you sell?
Yun Xin: We can make things such as drawings pictures.
Chun Kit: We can make Chinese New Year Cards.
Teacher: What are you going to do with the money?
Natalie: Give to mum. Teacher: That’s nice. Any better ideas?
Qian Joe: We can help poor people. Chun Kit: Let’s help the orphans.
• It was a good idea and I told the kids, I would discuss with the Principal to get his permission.

b) Numbers.
• During mind mapping discussion, kids did mention activities related to Chinese New Year goods. Thus, I thought that they need to be clear with numbers and RM value. Thus, we learnt about numbers.
• I flashed numbers from 1 until 20. 5 year old kids took the numbers below 10 randomly. The others above 10. Then I drew columns and rows to insert the numbers accordingly. The kids tried seeing the connection between 1 until 50.

c) Worksheet: Additions.
• The addition activity involves the sum of up to 10. Before they do the harder level, their foundation has to be good. The kids added the pictures of Lion Dances. Example: 7+3=, 4+2=, 3+1=.

d) Drawing: Lion Dance.
• The kids are now more informed about Lion dance. I drew a huge Lion Dance on the white board and the kids were observing attentively. I used shapes to make them feel comfortable at drawing. Example: circle, semi-circle, triangle. They even asked me to draw the dancers. Then, I labeled the picture such as horn, ear, beard, eyes and etc.
I allowed the younger kids to either draw or colour. I was impressed at the kids’ drawing. They showed improvement and even added their own ideas into the picture. The kids were encouraged to write their name by looking at their name cards as a guidance.

No comments: