Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Eagle Puppet

25/03/2008 (Tuesday)

(a) Writing exercise "d"

We started the day with some writing exercise on "d". The exercise required the colouring of pictures that begin with "d". They included "door, duck, dragon, drain, dog". SJ was quite independent although she took a while to settle from her usual morning cry. JN, SY, SYu were independent while LX needed constant encouragement. ZJ was guided on his previous homework of "phonics -ed, -en" and also the Number exercise from 1 until 10. After the exercise, they did some drawing and colouring.

(M/I: Body-Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Spatial skills)

(b) Story-telling: "I Can Co-operate"

Next, we gathered together for a story-telling session. As I realised that my kids are yet to work in a group, I chose a story on the title, "I Can Cooperate". YZ, ZY and ZYg asked me the meaning of co-operate and I asked them to figure it out after the story session. JN guessed it was some food, YW thought it was drawing while SY thought it was playing. The story showed how a group of children worked and played together. They carried heavy basket of food together, arranged the tables and chairs together. They also helped their family preparing dinner at home. There was joy and spirit of co-operation everywhere. Next, we discussed the things we can do together. JN said we should play together, ZY said we should co-operate during thematic lessons such as on role-play. M said we can co-operate when carrying food. I really hope that this story would stimulate them to be more responsible and caring.

(M/I: Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Linguistic skills)

(c) Craft: Eagle Puppet

Hmmm......I was quite surprised that they arranged the tables and chairs faster and with less noise! I thought it must be the story influence. After tea break, we continued with the eagle craft. I took out a yellow paper. I cut into half. Then, I folded one of the two pieces. I folded it into small stripes similar to making a paper fan. Then, the same step is to be repeated on the other half. Wow....it was not an easy job for them. Most of them were not careful with my instructions to fold the paper alternatively front and back. Some just folded as if "rolling"! They included LX, ZJ, WY, SR, SJ, JH, YW and ZYg. Kids who were more independent included ZY, YZ, SYU, SY, EG and surprisingly my little quiet SC. I perceived him to be a good observant and attentive student although quiet throughout the class. Next, they were supposed to cut some small triangles at the paper end as to smooth the flying eagle. However, only JS, ZY, YZ, SC and SY had better grip. The others needed my guidance as they were rather small triangle cuts. The challenge came for them to insert the folded paper or wings through a small hole. ZYg, SR, LX, JH, ZJ were fearful to try. The others were quite okay although the wings placement could be unbalanced. Then, the kids started flying their eagles. To avoid any undesired accidents, we cleared the classroom for wider space. They had fun!

(M/I: Body-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Logical-Mathematical, Spatial skills)

(d) Riddles

As we had 10 minutes left, I gave them two riddles which we had done briefly in the past. They were quite fast at catching the key words and I resist giving them the answer. (i) My four short legs are short but strong, I crawl on land, I have a long snout, And 66 teeth to snap my food, What am I? (ii) I am strong and fast, I have thick mane, I use my sharp claws to kill for food, I am the "King of the Jungle", What am I? The key words of "snout and 6 teeth" hinted them that it is a crocodile. Meanwhile, "thick mane and King of the Jungle" hinted them that it is a lion. We would be doing more riddles exercises later on.

(M/I: Logical-Mathematical, Linguistic, Interpersonal, Naturalist skills)

No comments: