Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Mammals

06/03/2008 (Thursday)

(i) Writing exercise: “o” and “a”
Before the class, I was actually in the field playing a traditional game; “Eagle after the chicks”. Most of my early kids joined me besides the other classes. Their screams and speed portrayed their imagination and the fun.
At the classroom, I gathered the kids to recap on the proper way of writing “o” and “a”. Then, we discussed one of the exercises to identify the pictures and their initial letters. The words included orange, octopus, ambulance, apple and ant. The kids who required more attention was ZJ, JH, ZYg and SR. LX and JN had some difficulties to write a proper “a”. JW had shown improvement to be more independent which indicated a sign of interest development. Some did colouring after that.
(MI: Body-Kinesthetic, Intrapersonal Interpersonal, Linguistic, Spatial skills)

(ii) Story telling and songs
Next, I gathered the kids for a story called “The Black Cat”. Upon looking at the cat’s picture, they said it was ugly and dirty. In fact, the story captured their attention very well including my active ZY and LX. The lesson learnt was to respect every animal; even a not so beautiful cat. The black cat actually saved a dying old man by attracting its neighbour’s attention.
Then, we recap on the song “Five Little Ducks” and their favourite “No More Monkeys”. JS, ZYg, ZJ, JH, ZY, EG, YZ, SY, M and JN formed a queue and jumped along with the song. Meanwhile, SYu, LX and SC joined in the crowd a little later.
(MI: Body-Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Logical-Mathematical, Musical skills)

(iii) Flash cards
When they were physically tired, I did flashcard sessions with them. These were the animals’ names: tortoise, horse, bear, lion, peacock, ostrich, snake and tiger. Next, we played a game. Its called, “Pick a card randomly”. Each individual closed their eyes and randomly pick a card from me. Then, he or she had to act like the chosen animal. M and SY were creative to include the sounds.
(MI: Body-Kinesthetic, Intrapersonal, Linguistic skills)

(iv) Hello, hamster!
Next, was the kids’ most awaiting moment to watch Gwin, my hamster. Today was a good timing because all my kids were present except WY who was sick. Rules were set and accepted before watching the hamster. Gwin sniffed at my fingers (which puzzled the kids) and hopped onto my hand. YZ asked why it did that which led to my answer of sensing the owner.
JW was the first lucky kid to touch the hamster which then, scared him off onto the floor. There was chaos screaming at and chasing the hamster. I was frightened too….as to lose Gwin and that he might be hurt! After 1.5 minutes of chasing, I succeeded in rescuing him. Everyone was relieved and worried for Gwin except for EG. Being an enthusiastic kid, he asked me 3 times why I didn’t let him touch the hamster. I had to explain in detail for fear that it might not be a suitable time to socialize with the hamster at that moment. It was hiding at the corner resisting to see anyone…….phew!
(MI: Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Linguistic, Naturalist skills)

(v) Safari layout: Train craft
After tea-break, we talked about the variety animal groups. YZ was puzzled to hear that and asked what I meant. Generally, they learnt that animals were divided into “Mammals, Reptiles, Birds, Insects or Fish”. Asking them to recall on the hamster I brought to school, we classified that it:
i) has fur ii) gives birth iii) feeds its babies
iv) is warm – blooded and v) breathes through lungs.

Thus, a hamster belongs to the Mammal group just like rabbits and tigers or monkeys. People too are Mammals except with hair and not fur!
With those facts, ZY asked about penguin and could not accept my answer that a penguin belongs to the bird family. “Why, teacher…….ii has hair, doesn’t it?” Immediately, EG said the reason was because it lived in a cold place. I smiled and explained in detail. The penguin's wings are actually flippers that help it to swim well rather than fly. I asked them to touch their own neck and armpits. They also rubbed their hands to understand the meaning of “warm-blooded”. They were able to list me 12 animals which have these Mammals’ characteristics. They included dogs, rats, lions, giraffes, goats, kangaroos, lions, leopards and elephants.
These kids are fast learners and I enjoy seeing them grow and learn.
(MI: Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Body-Kinesthetic, Naturalist skills)

No comments: