Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Phonics and Creation of Story

19 /03/08 (Wednesday)

(i) Individual guidance
This morning, the kids had to pass me their homework on the kangaroo worksheet that I gave yesterday. However, only 8 kids passed to me including JS, JW, YZ, YW, SC, WY, SYu and LX. JN, EG, JH and ZYg showed me their undone copy and I guided them thoroughly using the number chart. M and ZYg forgot to bring their copies and I reminded them to pass it on Friday. JS, JW, M, WY and JH preferred corner playing while the others preferred to draw and colour.
(M/I: Intrapersonal, Body-Kinesthetic, Logical-Mathematical, Spatial skills)

(ii) Phonics class
Today, they learnt the "en" sound and the recapping "ed" sound. They identified words included "hen, pen, men, ten, den" and "red, bed, wed". They also read sentences about Ted and Ken. Besides that, they also sang their favourite song "I have a red bed". Then, I wrote on the whiteboard to reinforce the words learnt. They wrote in the air to follow my proper strokes. Then, 5 kids were chosen to write on the board.
(M/I: Linguistic, Body-Kinesthetic, Musical skills)

(iii) Tea break and sharing
Today, JN and LX brought Yoghurt to the class and everyone quickly gobbled 2 pieces of banana cake and crowded these 2 girls. Hmmmm...it is the yoghurt season but they allowed their friends to dip some cake into their yoghurt........creative! YZ and YW arrived at this moment bringing little fish and tadpoles caught by Hui Ping teacher from the drain. After tea break, I divided into three groups to look at the fish and tadpoles. EG said that frogs stay in the pond. ZY said they swim in the river which I rectified. They learnt that the tadpole's legs would popped out in a week's time and after a few weeks; into a frog. Let's hope, YW and YZ would still have the tadpoles. I shared with then YW's musical box which got a dancing bear. They learnt the vocabulary and talked about the possible things to be kept in the drawer.
(M/I: Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Linguistic skills)

(iv) Phonics reinforcement
As a few kids grumbled that I didn't choose them to write earlier, I thought I should take this chance to motivate them as well as to reinforce their writing skills. So, I wrote the "ed" and "en" words on the board to encourage them the proper writing stroke. ZY, M, SC, SY and SYu were able to write more indpendently.
(M/I: Intrapersonal, Body-Kinesthetic, Spatial skills)

(v) Puppet story
I pasted a lion and crocodile puppet on the board and drew long grasses. Then, I asked, "Where are the animals?" ZYg said in the grass. I continued, "Do wild animals live at the football field, playground or in the jungle?" Everyone said, "jungle" The conversation continued:
Teacher : The animals are very scared! What are they scared of?
JH : A long snake.Teacher : Yes, maybe a Giant Anaconda! How can they save themselves?
SY : Get many lions to hide in the long grass.
Teacher : But, isn't it difficult to see the Anaconda?
JS : Get the lions on the high rocks.
ZY : Get the chameleons because they can change colour. Then, Anaconda cannot see it!
Teacher : Any other ideas?
JN : Teacher, get the porcupines.
WY : Yes, they will shoot at the Anaconda. (LX took a play dough mould from our Safari layout).
Teacher : What about something too see the Anaconda from high?
YW : Get the giraffe.
YZ : The giraffe can see easily!
JW : Get birds.Teacher : Good ideas, maybe they can drop some stones onto the Anaconda....

The kids were enthusiastic. Anyway, I asked the kids to think about the story again and we would continue next week as the time was up.
(M/I: Interpersonal, Linguistic, Logical-Mathematical skills)

No comments: