Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Friday, March 14, 2008

Reptiles: worksheet

14/03/08 (Friday)

(i) Writing
Today, we did writing exercise. We focused on “c, o, d”. Before that, I taught them the proper way to write the letters. Then, I asked them to practise on the whiteboard, as they love writing on the whiteboard.
More attention was given to ZJ, WY, JH, LX and ZY who wrote with improper strokes. Faster and more independent kids finished earlier and they asked for paper to draw and colour. I am happy that SYu’s drawing has improved a lot. I remembered on SYu’s first day, she needed my help to draw a cat but today, she could draw people and animals…..….pretty ones.

(M/I: Body-Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Spatial skills)

(ii) Story-telling
I drew an animal on the whiteboard but a lot of the kids thought it was a crocodile or a baby crocodile. Actually, it was an iguana. They always thought that an iguana is the same as a chameleon which camouflages. I clarified that it belongs to the “reptiles” group. So, they tried recalling other reptiles learnt on Thursday. Most said were crocodiles and tortoises.
They enjoyed the story very much including LX who could focus for 10 minutes! It was a story about how Alex persuaded his mother persistently; so as to give him an iguana pet. The kids learnt that instead of crying and using a handphone, we can communicate through writing. Now, they know that we can use paper to write letters.

(M/I: Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Linguistic skills)

(iii) Do you know them and Role-Play game
I flashed them some cards and they could read elephant and tiger. I used the first letter phonics sound to help them. Example, “t” is tiger. Then, I wrote the Bahasa Malaysia version. They tend to confuse with “giraffe” and “zirafah”. Next, they learnt that: “tiger” itu “harimau”, “lion” itu “singa”, “giraffe” itu “zirafah”, “zebra” itu “kuda belang” and “elephant” itu “gajah”. YW always get confused the word “tiger” and “lion”.
. To reinforce, we did a role-play game. The flashcards were placed in the middle of a hoop and each child picked a card randomly. He had to read and role-played the movement. They were excited and started hunting one another as animals.

(M/I: Body-Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Interpersonal, Logical-Mathematical skills)


(iv) Worksheet
Next, I discussed the worksheet with them. They had to circle the correct spelling. They are good in picture recognizing but not yet with words. Thus, I tend to pronounce the first letter sound to assist them.
YW, YZ, JW and SYu were more independent. In fact, most of them faced challenge with Bahasa Malaysia worksheet.

(M/I: Body-Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Logical-Mathematical skills)

No comments: