Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Space Monster

02/07/2008 (Wednesday)

a) Corner playing
The excited kids marched to the classroom and gathered to play. Surprisingly, they didn’t bring in the Spaceship today. They were playing with blocks, cooking toys and the cloths. Meanwhile, I checked their homework. The Corner playing was shortened today because I believe these kids are more ready for more knowledge after the first half year. Besides that, more kids were coming before 9.15a.m. Kids who wanted to play; I advised them to come earlier.

b) Story: The Space Monster
To channel their focus, I did a story on “The Space Monster”. I asked them if they could remember the word, “alien”? “Is there an alien or monster in the space?” The kids were quiet. Until today, there are no concrete proof to highlight it as a fact. However, scientists are still dong research. If really there were Aliens or living beings out there, maybe they could help us in some ways. Example: finding of new resources. I said, “Cartoons and movies show Aliens because these are only their imaginations.”
They liked this short story on how the Spaceship fight against the Monster which then disappeared into the Sun. Then they read along the story with me. The Spaceship made the sound, “ZAP…..ZAP….ZAP” as they shot the aliens.

c) Saying More Good Words
Recently, I found that some kids like saying words like “bengkak” or “wah, lau!” We talked about these unhealthy words. Some said, why then their parents can use the words? My answer was: “Maybe nobody told them about it.”
My suggestion was to use words like “Oh, Gosh!” or “Oh, Zap!” these words can be used when we are surprised, excited or even angry……and they are merely RHYMES! The kids agreed to practice this better habit.

d) Reciting Poems: Fruit Salad
We recapped on “Fruit Salad”. Today I continued the story whereby the monkey came to take my fruits. The verse is as follows:
“My monkey likes to eat fruits especially bananas, watermelon, grapes and tangerines.”
They learnt by listening and also by reading. Then as they did the actions, they recited from their memories. Today they were plucking fruits from me…….ha ha ha!

e) Worksheet
We talked about our workbook, “My Space book”. The kids were able to read most words independently. They included: space, stars, earth, comet, planets. Then the kids came forward individually to match the words to the drawn pictures on the board. Another five kids came to write the words on the board. They were rather independent.

f) Rocket craft
Then the kids continued with their ROCKET craft. They cut their coloured triangle into 2 small triangles. Then they learned to insert or put them through the cut bottles. Then they cellotaped the triangles to the bottle. They really enjoyed this activity. Tomorrow, they should be able to complete the whole rocket!

No comments: