Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sunlight and its importance

03/07/2008 (Thursday)

a) Reciting CD and Individual Attention
The children marched up into their classroom and chose their play. While playing, they listened to the CD on English Reciting Poems. Unrealizingly, the kids actually said out the poem, “Fruit Salad” along with the CD………without my guidance or instruction! I did one – to – one Phonics Exercise with the kids. The sentences involved were “A tin in a tin”, “A tin in a bin”, “A bin in a bin” and “A tin and a bin in a bin”.

b) SYu’s harmonica and Doe, Ray, Mi
SYu brought a harmonica to class today. Hers was a little different from JS because hers has got a filter. I explained the usage to the kids. The kids wanted to sing the song, “Doe, Ray, Mi”. They learnt to listen, understand and also recognize the words. Take a look:
“Doe a deer, a female deer;
Ray a drop of golden sun,
Mi a name I call myself,
Fa a long long way to run,
So I need a pulling thread,
La a note to follow so,
Ti a drink with jam and bread,
That will bring us back to Doe…..oh…oh…oh……
Doe Ray Mi Fa So La Ti Doe……So Doe !”
We sang the song again with actions. Next, they sang themselves while I blew the harmonica.

c) Who is bringing what?
Next, we recited on the “Fruit Salad”. M said I did not show the class tangerines as promised yesterday. I went to Giant yesterday but couldn’t find any. I guess it is not the season now. I drew the pictures and told them that tangerines are actually small Mandarin Oranges.
Next, I showed them the “fruit salad dressing or mayonnaise” needed to make fruit salad. We will be making a fruit salad tomorrow. ZY, SYu and SJ will be bringing apples, J and YP will be bringing bananas. They are required only to bring the extra fruits from their homes, if they have any. I have oranges at home. Let’s see how responsible these kids are…..merely words or really putting into actions? We hope to share with family members and teachers.

d) Sunlight and its importance
Next, we talked about things that needed sunlight. The kids looked at their workbook, “My Space Book”. They identified the pictures which need sunlight. These included: people, plants, trees, birds, salty fish, wet clothes and even polar bears. They learnt to say in proper sentences: “Plants need sunlight. People need sunlight.” The kids say even bats need sunlight. I disagree because they are blind. YP asked, “How can they fly then?” Teacher, “That is because they have sharp hearing and smelling senses”. Then they did their colourings independently. YZ, YW and LX brought big boxes of colouring tools. They shared with their friends.

No comments: