Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Harmonica and our own rocket!

02/07/2008 (Tuesday)

a) Making a “Cone”
The kids gathered at the hall to read “lun yi” or “Reciting Poems”. Then they went into the classroom. They chose their favourite play. Meanwhile, I called the kids individually to make the “cone” for their rockets. They realized that they had to be careful to avoid the big hole at the folding. JN pretended to drink from that cone. The other kids pretended them to be big hats.

b) JS’s harmonica and Poem
JS brought a harmonica. The kids learnt this new word. They wanted to blow but I disallowed. I told them that they can share only if they wash it properly before using. Then I blew the harmonica following the tune of “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” or “London Bridge” or “ABC”. Then, they asked for their favourite song, “The Space Song”. They clapped their hands and enjoyed themselves.
Next, we recapped on our Reciting Poem, “Fruit Salad”. They listened to the CD twice and then recited independently. Again,…I was the fruit tree.

c) Workbook: Differences
At tea break, JN brought some “Chee Cheong Fun” to share with her friends. They thanked her.
Then we talked about an exercise from their workbook, “My Space Book”. They had to find 6 differences between the two astronauts. The differences were the helmet, the antenna, the watch, the object, the flag and the shoes. Before doing this exercise, we talked about the meaning of differences. I drew 2 different people. One bald while the other one with hair. They said he is “Botak head!” I said, it is better to say, “He is bald”. Botak is a Bahasa Melayu word. Kids asked, “Teacher, why can a person be bald?” I said, “A few reasons. Maybe he is sick. Or maybe he is too clever. Or maybe is a trend.” YZ said, “I don’t want to be clever then.” I said, “It is very rare for very clever people to lose hair.”

d) Our rockets are ready!
Then, the kids lined up to paste their Cones to their bottle rockets. They took the cellophane tape and pasted at the top of their bottles. They were so excited….that I felt they were the rockets themselves….ha ha ha!

No comments: