Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day and Green, green, green!

22/04/2008 (Tuesday)

(i) To the Classroom
As it was drizzling, we headed to the classroom earlier than usual. Of course, everyone was hiding. After drinking water, I allowed them for Corner Playing or continue with their colouring of “park”. Everyone played for a while; then; the girls started asking for their paper to colour. SYu, SJ, SY, JN, YP asked for their paper. ZY, M and J asked for colouring.
(M/I: Body Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Spatial, Logical Mathematical skills)

(ii) Earth Day
Next, I asked them if they knew what day today is. YZ, YP and ZY said its Planting Day. I praised them because they paid attention in the previous lessons. I told them that today id “Earth Day” and people around the world are planting trees to save the earth, making it a better place for everyone. I asked why we needed more trees. Generally, they said to protect the Earth and because we are using too much paper. I added on the Greenhouse gas whereby trees would our Carbon Dioxide and release Oxygen (the clean air) for us. Trees would also make our earth a cooler place to live in. People and animals would be healthier too!
(M/I: Linguistic, Interpersonal, Logical Mathematical, Naturalist skills)

(iii) The Earth Song
Next, we sang a song similar to the tune of “If You Are happy……” They enjoyed the song as it was easy to follow. Please take a look:

If you love our world, clap your hands (clap, clap)
If you love our world, clap your hands (clap, clap)
If you love our world, love our big big world;
If you love our world, clap your hands! (clap, clap)


If you love our world, plant new trees (new trees!)
If you love our world, plant new trees (new trees!)
If you love our world, love our big big world;
If you love our world, plant new trees! (new trees!)


If you love our world, recycle (recycle!)
If you love our world, recycle (recycle!)
If you love our world, love our big big world;
If you love our world, recycle! (recycle!)


Firstly, I got them to explain the song. Then, I sang it in Mandarin. Of course, they giggled as my Mandarin was not that fluent. Heee……. Next, we formed a circle and sang with actions. We learnt new vocabulary including world, great, plant and recycle. They loved that song very much!
(M/I: Body Kinesthetic, Spatial, Interpersonal skills)

(iv) How do I plant trees?
After tea break, I explained to them that each of them will be given a tree later. Firstly, they have to tell me the type of house they live in. Is it an Apartment or a landed house? Thus, I explained that only certain trees are suitable for apartment residents as there is no garden. Those living in the land houses can choose bigger trees including “Pine Tree” or “Christmas Tree”.Secondly, they have to bring the tree home and either plant it in the soil or in a pot. Thirdly, they should water the plants at least twice a day. I would prepare a chart to assist them on their planting. At the same time, we hope to instill responsibility within each child.
(M/I: Linguistic, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Naturalist skills)

(v) Trees and Recycling Newspaper
Next, I drew trees on the whiteboard. We learnt the parts including leaves, root, trunk and branch. Then, I asked them to draw the trees. Meanwhile, I got the kids four at a time to do their recycled newspaper. Their first reaction was….”Yerr……its smelly.” I had to explain to them that that was the smell of the newspaper ink or carbon. However, I reminded them that recycle will save the earth in many ways! I gave each a spatula to spread the mixture on the filter net. JN, YZ, M were rather independent especially when squeezing the water out from the mixture. J, ZYg and LX needed more guidance. We would continue with the process tomorrow as we had to choose our plants.
(M/I: Linguistic, Body Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Logical Mathematical, Naturalist skills)

(vi) Hooray! Let's plant a tree.
We marched downstairs and chose our plants. The kids were very excited but most of them chose pine trees. YZ called out to M, “Why did you choose this tree and not the Pine Tree?” M answered, “My mum will like this better”. Wow…….what a sweet answer. I do hope that, this little step that we take will be instilled within the children and us, adults forever!
(M/I: Linguistic, Body Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Naturalist skills)

No comments: