Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let’s Colour!

30/04/2008 (Wednesday)

(i) Corner Playing
This morning, I brought in a new toy for the kids. It is a box of constructional blocks. All them just loved it! SYu, SJ were implementing them. YP and JW built an aeroplane. ZY build some buildings, JS and ZYg made guns. They were playing and interacting with one another. Of course, I had to remind them to use English frequently even when communicating with friends. About 9.15 a.m., they tidied the toys together; nick and span….I could imagine how satisfied they were with that game.
(M/I: Body Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Linguistic skills)

(ii) My name is…..
Next, I flashed everyone’s name while they tried reading them. They were quite good. They giggled looking at some long names such as James Ngiam Zi Yang, Henry Low Wen Yue and Eugene Gan You Jing.
Next, we formed a circle. When they closed their eyes, I placed all the names on the floor. Then, I called a kid’s name. He or she ran around the circle while we sang songs. Once I clapped my hands, he or she had to quickly take his name card. This game was to test his recognition of names. JW needed some guidance while the other kids were quite independent.
(M/I: Body Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Musical, Linguistic skills)

(iii) Present or Absent?
Next, I drew two columns on the whiteboard. The kids came to paste their names under the correct column. All were present except ZY and WY. They are required to do this every day to instill responsibility as well as better recognition of own’s name.
(M/I: Body Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Linguistic skills)

(iv) Recycling Bins: Let’s colour
First, we recalled the names of different colours. Second, we learnt the different vocabulary related to colouring tools. These included brush, palate, colours, cup and newspaper. I explained that too much water in the the colour mixture will tear the paper box easily.
Third, the kids went to their own group. They could all remember their groups. The groups included “Plastic Recycling Bin”, “Paper Recycling Bin” ad “Glass recycling Bin”.
Initially, they were very noisy and excited handling the brushes and water colour…haaa. Then, I reminded on the scores to be collected. Eventually, Syu’s group scored the highest as they were more disciplined, patient and more cooperative. The other 2 groups just took my colours for granted! Then, we let the boxes to dry; to be continued on Friday. I reminded the kids to bring a small or big water bottle for the next lesson’s craft. It would be a family’s gift…:)
(M/I: Body Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Linguistic, Spatial, Logical-Mathematical skills)


No comments: