Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Friday, April 11, 2008

I am a well-behaved child!

11/04/2008 (Friday)

(i) Playground
Today’s garden was wet. So, we walked briskly along the pathway. Surprisingly, a lot of my kids were early including ZYg, M, SYu and SJ. Thus, they joined their friends for the brisked walk. Kim Lun and some other kids also joined us. It was fun!
(M/I: Body-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal skills)

(ii) Blindfold again!
Well, today they hid behind the door while some under the table. Obviously, I was the hunter hunting for the hidden animals…haaa. ZJ would prefer to hide outside the class. Then, we played the “blindfold” game. Before playing, we highlighted the rules again. A) Be very quiet. B) The kids cannot hide under the table. C) Everyone gets to play. The first person chose randomly was YP and she managed to grab SYu. Of course, the kids tend to get excited and were not able to follow rule (A). At least, they were better today then yesterday.
(M/I: Logical-Mathematical, Body-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal skills)

(iii) Manners: Story book “Say, Please”
I introduced them 4 new vocabulary: Please, Thank you, Excuse me and Sorry. We talked about when to use the words. I drew a child on the board. I asked, “What does he want to eat?” YZ said, “He wants roti canai”. ZYg said biscuits and JN said strawberries. Then, we practiced saying, “Please give me some bread. Please give me some strawberries.” The saying would followed by “Thank you” and “You are welcome”. We took turn to do the role-play. The mother or father wore scarves around them. Of course, giggling was everywhere.Child : Please give me some bread.Mother : here you are.Child : Thank you, mother.Mother : You are welcome.
Then they also practised saying “Excuse Me” especially when they sneeze, cough, hiccup or passing by a crowd of people. Whereas “Sorry” was used when they made mistakes.I read a story entitled “Say, Please”. They were very attentive and were puzzled that animals too are well-mannered. They loved the part when the fat pig said, “Please scratch my back. It’s itchy”. Of course, the boy helped the pig which then said, “Thank You”.

(M/I: Linguistic, Intrapersonal, Logical-Mathematical, Body-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal skills)

(iv) Rubbish and dustbin.
I showed them a big picture of two scenes. The first scene showed how a girl throws rubbish everywhere although the dustbin is just beside her. The kids said that it was not right!Scene two showed how a boy comes and tells the girl to throw into the dustbin. I asked the kids to think of a proper sentence to tell the girl to throw the rubbish into the dustbin. Most of them said, “Throw……” I hinted them “Please”. YP then said, “Please throw into the dustbin”. Then, we had a short role-play. They took turn. The dialogue was as follows:

Boy : Please throw the rubbish into the dustbin.
Girl : Oh, I am sorry.
Boy : Thank you.
Girl : You are welcome.


We also did a role-play where the boy scolded the girl rudely without using “Please”. So, they realized that two rude and angry people will cause problem! So, manners is important.
(M/I: Linguistic, Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, Logical-Mathematical, Body-Kinesthetic skills)

(v) Keychain craft.
I gave each a yellow paper with their names behind. They had to write 2 rows of their names. Then they had to collect the Magic Words from me to paste nicely on the front page. I told them that the paper would be laminated and made into keychain to hang on their bags. Hopefully, they can read the words independently and bear in mind practising them!
(M/I: Linguistic, Intrapersonal, Spatial, Logical-Mathematical, Body-Kinesthetic skills)

2 comments:

owl said...

My child came back with the manners words. (Thank you, Please and Sorry) I very happy but after two days, came back as usual (quarrel again) so sad, hope teacher will more practise with them. Thank you very much. (SYU and SJ Mum)

衍衍 said...

JN always forgot to say manner words and we need to remind her everytime.she seems like can pratice at school but not at home.we always told her that when somebody is talking and she want interrupt,she need to say "excuse me".But she think as after she say "excuse me" we had to stop our conversation and listen to her immediately.How to eaplain to her? can teacher help on this?thanks