Our Pomegranate friends!

Our Pomegranate friends!

Monday, April 28, 2008

Which rubbish for which Recycling Bin?

28/04/2008 (Monday)

(i) Wake up time!
The kids were surprised to see me instead of Teacher Hui Ping. I explained to them that she had gone for a check-up. I called out "Wake Up, Children!" for 3 times. If they failed to wake up at the third call, they would not be able to join us for the fun activities! They were rather fast except YW who couldn't wake up. Thus, we drank some water, left her alone and marched to the Sand Pit. The kids just loved it! Unfortunately, it started to drizzled unexpectedly!! The kids gathered quickly inside the hall. We formed a circle and we practised the skipping rope again. However, this time I replaced it with a chain rubber bands because the skipping rope was slightly long for the cute kids to jump with. First, they queued up. They jumped over the snaky rubber band, hopped into 3 hula hoops and jumped as high as possible to hit my high tambourine. They just loved it especially jumping high to hit the tambourine. Then, I showed them the proper way to skip using the rubber bands. M and SYu were quite independent while the others needed more guidance. Gee.....at times, I felt that many kids today should be exposed more to the games of our generation!
(M/I: Body Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Interpersonal, Logical Mathematical skills)

(ii) Storybook: The Earth And I
After drinking water, I told them a story. It was a very colourful book with beautiful pictures. A few sentences that captured the kids were:"I love the earth. She listens to me and I listen to her. I sing for her and she sings for me. I dance for her and she dances with me. I grow her and she helps me to grow. When she is sad, I'm sad. When she is happy, I'm happy". The kids learnt that when we take good care of the earth, she will not be sick. She will be beautiful and the animals and flowers will also be happy and beautiful. When we plant vegetables, we help them to grow. When we eat them, we will grow! The kids just loved the simple meaningful story. Thus, it is our responsibility to recycle to protect the earth!
(M/I: Naturalist, Linguistic, Interpersonal, Logical Mathematical skills)

(iii) Game: Can you find the correct Recycling Bin?
I recapped on the 3 Recyling Bins, flashcards and their colours. Then, I pasted the flashcards onto 3 baskets. I poured a box of clean rubbish onto the floor. The kids came forward individually to place the rubbish into the correct Recyling Bin. At the same time, they vocabulary such as newspaper, boxes, plastic cup, colour paper, manila cardboard, wooden stick, plastic bags and polystrene. They were good at this except they had challenge with the wooden stick. I hinted them that it is related to paper. Immediately, YP talked about the tree's log! Fantastic!
(M/I: Linguistic, Interpersonal, Logical Mathematical skills)

(iv) Colouring
I showed them the proper way to colour and gave them the responsibity to colour the worksheet at home. my objective was for them to share their little knowledge with their family. I'm sure they would then learn even more.(M/I: Spatial, Linguistic, Interpersonal skills)

No comments: